" />

Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
























Employment Settings

Printable PDF version of this page.

Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf Blind, and Late-Deafened Consumers:

Wherever you work, you may sometimes need interpreting services for full communication access. You might need interpreting for a weekly staff meeting or an annual review, for a conference call or a specialized training, to meet with certain customers or learn a new system. In some work settings, there may be a full-time staff interpreter shared by all staff. In others there may be a designated interpreter for a specific person. For others, contract interpreters are used when needed. Whether you are an employee, in management, work seasonally, or as a contractor, when you need an interpreter it is important that they are qualified to do the job. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act – ADA – a qualified interpreter is “an interpreter who is able to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially both receptively and expressively, using any specialized vocabulary necessary for effective communication.”
See ADA Part 36.104 for this definition.

You have the right to communication access in employment settings. If you need a qualified interpreter, please give our contact information to the person in charge of communication access.

For more information about your rights to qualified interpreters in employment settings, visit the ADA Home page  or the National Association of the Deaf website.

Employers, Human Resources personnel, Job Coaches, and others involved in employment:
Making workplace communication accessible for Deaf, hard of hearing, Deaf Blind, and late-deafened people is the responsibility of employers. In hiring, training, supervising, evaluating, and promoting, interpreters may be needed. This may be for a daily, weekly, monthly, or annual need, or for specific programs, training, or circumstances, depending on the communication needs of your employees, managers, contractors, and other staff. In many cases, your specific need for interpreters does not justify hiring a full-time staff interpreter. Working with an experienced interpreting services provider to obtain services on an as-needed basis can help to make your communication accessibility a reasonable task.
Interpreters accept assignments based on their varied skill sets, depending on the type of interpreting needed: sign language is appropriate with many who are Deaf or hard of hearing, tactile or close vision communication with many who are Deaf Blind, and oral transliteration with many who are late-deafened. In addition, a qualified Deaf Interpreter may be needed in situations involving children, or with someone who has limited formal language, limited cognitive function, or is from another country.

When you need sign language, tactile, or oral interpreters for full communication access in an employment setting, always work with a qualified interpreter.

For more information on the need for a Deaf Interpreter:
See the Standard Practice Paper published by RID.



Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!